Date: 7/30/17 9:50 pm
From: Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene <eugenewbu...>
Subject: [obol] California Tortoiseshell Butterflies - along the upper McKenzie, Clear Lake, etc. as well
Seeing your posts, Larry and Nicholas, I thought I'd add that these massive
numbers of butterflies were also in the Clear Lake and McKenzie River areas
too, this past Thursday.

My granddaughter and I were up for her first rowboat ride and everywhere we
encountered massive numbers of the Tortoisehells, to the point it made
driving quite hazardous since one couldn't help but want to avoid killing
them, but one could not drive as slowly as one need to to accomplish this.

We were glad to get off the highway and head to the lake where one could
drive to allow them to pass by the car. They were largely not *over* the
lake but were everywhere along the roadsides, especially near
water...culverts, outhouses, included!

Along the edge of the lake when one moved too quickly, they would all take
flight and one could hear their wingbeats, too, then.
_
( '< * -*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*—
/ ) )
//" "

Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Barbara & Dan Gleason, co-owners

Store phone: 541-844-1788
<eugenewbu...>
2510 Willamette Street, Eugene, OR 97405

www.facebook.com/eugenewbu
www.eugene.wbu.com

Join us on Facebook!