Date: 7/30/17 8:50 pm
From: Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ -- Sunday down south -- Brown Pelican, Gray Hawks, Rose-throated Becard, and be careful at Pena Blanca Lake
Headed south of Tucson this morning, hoping to find someplace dry to bird.
Stopped at the Amado WWTP and found the Brown Pelican and 2 Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks right away. At Pena Blanca Lake, I saw 3 Gray Hawks (2
adults and 1 very vocal juvenile), but not a single duck. Pena Blanca was
as wet as I've ever seen it, with water flowing over the road in 2 places,
and flowing water in lots of other places that have always been dry,
including a pretty hefty waterfall about halfway to the dam. It was
threatening rain the whole time I was there, and any significant rain could
make the road impassable, so be aware of the weather if you're down there.
I stopped at Kino Springs Golf Course for the first time this year --
nothing out of the ordinary, but I did get another Gray Hawk, a juvenile
Red-Tailed Hawk, and a male Varied Bunting. Finally, I though I'd try for
the Rose-throated Becard at Tumacacori, followed the footprints in the mud
to the river, and ran into a birder named Jason who had seen 3 (maybe 4) of
them in the general vicinity. He eventually put me onto a beautiful and
cooperative male that we watched for a few minutes (thanks!). A productive
and fairly dry day, although it rained on and off for most of the drive
back to Tucson. Complete lists will be on eBird eventually.

Betsy Checchia
Tucson, AZ