Date: 7/30/17 7:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose, Lake Calumet Area & The Return Of My Computer Sunday 7-30-17
Hello Bird People,

Made a quick visit to Montrose Beach & then drove to O'Brien Lock &
Dam for Walter's field trip as advertised by Jill N on IBET. But there
were over 30 cars in the lot & although I don't mind birding with
others the thought of looking for birds with about 40 birders was just
too much for me. So I went off on my own as I know the area as well as
most although not as well as Walter. I had 2 targets today & missed 1
(Least Bittern) because I didn't go with the group (serves me right I
guess) but saw the other (Common Gallinule) in greater numbers than
Walter's group based on some of their ebird reports. Here's what I saw
today:

Montrose Beach (6:15-7 a.m.)

Not many shorebirds today with Killdeer (8) & Spotted Sandpiper
(1-young) as regulars & one Semipalmated Plover which I saw when I
walked over to see what Tom L was looking at. Sometimes it's easier to
find a bird by finding a birder looking AT the bird than locating the
bird 1st.

Burnham Prairie (8-9 a.m.)

After retreating from the army of birders I looked here for shorebirds
& Heron/Egrets but again all I saw were more Killdeer (31) & Spotted
Sandpipers (5) plus 1 actual migrant, a Solitary Sandpiper.
Quite a few big waders with 6 Great Blues, 4 Great Egrets, 3 Green
Herons & 2 B.C. Night Herons.
Four Cormorants were diving & the land bird highlight was a daddy
Eastern Bluebird with 3 young.

Hegewisch Marsh (9:05-9:20 a.m.)

Thought the group would already be here but there was no where to park
30 some cars so they delayed their arrival until later. But that might
have been to my advantage as being alone may have kept the COMMON
GALLINULES from hiding out of view. Heard 1 call & looked in that
direction & out came 2 adults leading 7 or 8 young ones which seemed
to be in varying sizes with about half being larger & darker with red
starting on their bills & the other half being smaller, grayer & with
no red on their bills. Perhaps they hatched over a period of almost a
week giving some a head start in growing? Did not stay long but did
see 2 adult Mute Swans in the distance.

Next to Big Marsh where I parked in the bike trail lot & learned about
where the trails were so even though I missed the group's flying Least
Bittern I do now know how to cover this place next time.

Got home & found my computer refused to come up saying the memory was
out. But that was not true & eventually everything returned to normal
after powering down via the button 3 times & then once by pulling the
plug. So by the time Mike Trahan called to save the day all was
already saved.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the large Gallinule family &, keeping it an all
family awards day,
Runner-Up goes to the Eastern Bluebird family. A day of "Family Values"!

License Plate Of The Day to one from Delaware on the Dan Ryan &
Runners-Up to 2 southern plates from Mississippi (Montrose) &
Louisiana (Lake Shore Dr).

Al Stokie
Winning some & losing some in Cook Co today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: