Date: 7/30/17 4:38 pm
From: Catherine Fisher <catherineckx...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Re: hummingbird moth
Both species of hummingbird moths common in Massachusetts (hummingbird
clearwing and snowberry clearwing) are related to tomato hornworms, but
tomato hornworms are the larval form of the five-spotted hawk moth.
Hummingbird moths and the five-spotted hawk moth are members of the sphinx
moth family.

C. Fisher
Lee, NH

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Peter Trull <petrull...> wrote:

> The Clear-winged Sphinx *Hemaris thysbe *is a widespread nectaring moth.
> The big green tomato hornworm caterpillar is the larval stage of this
> moth. Adult moths are frequently seen in numbers on butterfly bush, which
> has recently been determined as an invasive species.
> Peter Trull
> Brewster
> <petrull...>

Join us on Facebook!