Date: 7/30/17 4:16 pm
Subject: Allendale Kite Fields - good action today
Chris Snook and I met Roger Smith at the Allendale Kite Fields this
morning. Just before Roger arrived, Chris and I flushed a pair of
Common Ground-Doves out of a grassy depression when I pulled in the
entrance to a corn field to turn around. We also enjoyed some
Red-headed Woodpeckers in the edge of the field at Revolutionary and
Barton. Blue Grosbeaks and Painted Buntings were thick as fleas
around the area.

It was quiet Kite-wise at Rev and Barton, so we cut our losses early
and headed for Millet Road at 9am. We were glad we did. We enjoyed
the closest looks at (flyby) Swallow-tailed Kites I have ever enjoyed.
A couple of times they were too close for cameras or binoculars.
There were at least 180 Swallow-tailed Kites and 25+ Mississippi Kites
foraging over the pastures and hayfields and at one point most were
perched in the treeline far in the rear of the vast pasture.

There was good June Bug activity in and over the fields and that was
what the kites were keying on today. I would not be surprised if the
show is still going next weekend at Millet Road. We also enjoyed the
resident pair of Loggerhead Shrikes at Millet.

I put some photos of the kite show on my Flickr page:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_offshorebirder2&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=xPyIqSCHJBT-BfgMIdKpUiCptSvLPVJcZrBRzXNboIU&s=cY6UhaN-52umAJOmjnhkXmkRUtfBgD7cJLsrZKr6T2Q&e=

flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!