Date: 7/30/17 3:53 pm
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--30 July 2017
Hi, birders,

A round dozen walked the muddy Sierra Vista EOP dikes this morning,
including visiting birders from Germany and Spain. The group tally was 67
species at morning's end, a good total for a late summer trip.

Best bird of the morning was a Least Bittern in the very first impoundment
we came to. Everyone had a good scope view of this hard to find species;
after satisfied remarks all round, we laughed that now we could all go home.

A modest shorebird migration was in evidence, with plenty of Killdeer
providing background to Spotted Sandpipers (4), a Greater Yellowlegs (1),
Least Sandpipers (10), and a Wilson's Phalarope (1).

Several Lesser Nighthawks proved to be our German birder's 500th species in
North America; they obliged with close passes, showing off their plumage to
advantage. More migration was clear in the many flocks of Lark Sparrows all
morning, and in several groups of Lazuli Buntings feeding on weed seeds.

Monsoon breeding continues, too, with many Cassin's Sparrows in full song,
a few Botteri's Sparrows likewise singing, as well as vocal Bell's Vireo
and Yellow-breasted Chat.

​Cheers, Erika Wilson​

--
Erika Wilson, Sierra Vista, AZ