Date: 7/30/17 2:24 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Minto-Brown island Park Scouting Trip Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report*

Barbara, Fred, Kay and I scouted Minto-Brown Island Park in preparation for
our Salem Audubon birding field trip on *Sunday, August 6th at 7:00 a.m*.
The four of us walked three miles as we covered the east side of the park
including along the Willamette River. We went through the enchanted forest
and out near the new Peter Courtney Bridge between Riverfront Park and
Minto-Brown Island Park. It was a nice morning with clear skies and
temperatures of 63 degrees at the start and 76 degrees at the finish. We
observed (saw or heard) 45 species.

The highlights were as follows:

- Birding along the Willamette River was very productive. We
saw *Spotted
Sandpipers* (4), *Great Blue Heron* (1), *Greater Yellowlegs* (1), *Belted
Kingfisher* (1), a *Killdeer*, *Mallards* (8) and *Canada Geese* (48). In
addition, there were a lot of swallows over the river including *Barn*,
*Cliff* and *Northern Rough-winged Swallows*;

- Both sides of Parking Lot #3 were quite busy with activity as we
started our scouting trip around 7:00 AM. We observed *Black-capped
Chickadees*, a *Hutton’s Vireo*, *Black-throated Gray Warbler*, *American
Robins* including young ones, *White-crowned Sparrows*, *California
Scrub-Jays*, *American Crow*, *House Finches*, *Cedar Waxwings*, *Song
Sparrows* and *American Goldfinches*;

- We saw four *Lazuli Buntings* on the far east side of the park
along the trail leading to the Peter Courtney Bridge. There was a male
bunting singing at the top of a tree and we saw two juvenile buntings in
the bushes;

- We saw five species of warblers including *Orange-crowned Warbler* (1),
*Common Yellowthroat *(3), *Yellow Warbler *(10), *Black-throated Gray
Warbler *(2) and a *Wilson's Warbler*;

- Other observations included lots of *Mourning Doves* (14) including
two doves that were collecting nesting material. We also heard a *Purple
Finch* singing. In addition, we finally heard both nuthatches,
*Red-breasted* and *White-breasted Nuthatches*. We actually got good looks
at one of the *Red-breasted Nuthatches*.

Our next bird walk is the *Minto-Brown Island Park* bird walk on *Sunday,
August 6th at 7:00 AM*. Meet at Parking Lot #3. The next *SAS Shorts *bird
walk is scheduled for *Thursday, August 24th at 6:00 p.m. *where we will be
looking for Common Nighthawks again. Meet at Parking Lot #3. Please join
us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for July 30, 2017*

*Identified Species: 45*

48 Canada Goose
8 Mallard
2 Great Blue Heron