Date: 7/30/17 1:51 pm
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Little Blue Herons (20), Vigo
Continuing birds. Flock now up to 20 (we saw none at Kennett-Arbuckle).

Lathrop-Hale Slough, Vigo, Indiana, US
Jul 30, 2017 12:15 PM - 12:35 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: With Diana Hews, Dan Weber. Checked out site where Little Blue Herons were reported yesterday.
3 species

Great Egret 2
LITTLE BLUE HERON 20 17 white juveniles, 3 adults. Feeding and resting in large shallow pond; all in water except one juvenile perched in tree. A group about this size discovered here yesterday by Steve Lima, continuing. Viewing from Lathrop Drive, about 250 yards north of the herons, we studied them in scope and could see the key features of white juveniles and maroon and gray adults; one Great Egret was nearby for size comparison. Also viewed from the west on Hale, a little closer but a restricted view of the pond. This is the time of year LBHE appears in the region, not infrequently in flocks of 10 or more. We checked the white juveniles carefully for possible Snowy Egrets, but all bills, legs, postures fit Little Blue.
Killdeer 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38396678