Date: 7/30/17 7:54 am
From: Beau Schaefer <beauschaefer...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County Shorebirds
This morning Adam Sell and I did a little Tour of Fluddles through the far reaches of western Lake County. There’s some nice mud starting to show on some of the wet areas created by last week’s rains and this coming week looks promising for continuing that trend. A cold front is coming down from Canada either late Wednesday or early Thursday so habitat should improve and shorebird numbers should build in the next few days. Here’s our route for this morning:

5:30am Vernon Hills ballfields on Fairway Dr. And Nike Dr.
* This place has great habitat for grasspipers (Uppies, Buffies, Golden Plovers). We’ve had American Golden Plover here in past years.
Nothing today except 54 KILLDEER but that’s promising when so many birds are out there.

2. Erhart Rd.- this fairly large fluddle had some nice birds this spring like Long-billed Dowitchers found by Andy Stewart, and it’s starting to look good again. We had our highest single count of shorebirds here:

14 Solitary Sandpipers
1 Spotted S’piper
1 Least S’piper
3 Lesser Y’legs

3. Winchester Rd.- still full with no mud or shorebirds. This place was money in the spring, though, so still bears checking if mud ever starts showing up.

4. Fairgrounds fluddle on Peterson Rd.- looks fab and has many geese and gulls, but for some unknown reason, the shorebirds have abandoned this spot even though in the past we’ve had some great birds here.

5. Peterson Fluddles between Alleghany and 83- these 2 have been the main fluddles for quite a while lately and are looking real good. Not many birds today but pretty sure I had an Upland Sandpiper yesterday. Only got a brief obstructed look before it flushed into the soybean field so couldn’t get anything concrete other than coloration and GISS for ID. All of it said Uppie to me. Others with me had differing impressions, though, so it will go down as a possible only.

2 Spotted
3 Least
2 Semipalmated Plover
5 peep sp. flushed (Least or semi most likely)

6. Alleghany Ballfields hill fluddle- starting to look pretty good

1 Pectoral Sandpiper
1 Solitary Sandpiper
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
Juvie Pied-billed Grebe
3 Hooded Mergansers

7. Rt. 120 just east of Wilson Rd.- not a lot of mud yet, but starting to show some. Mostly grass but had a couple of birds.

1 Solitary Sandpiper
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
2 Least S’piper

8. Rt. 120 w of Fish Lake Rd.- looks good

1 Pectoral S’piper
2 Solitary S’piper
2 Least S’piper
9 Blue-winged Teal

9. Rollins Rd.- Adam texted me after we split up this morning and said that the south side lake on Rollins Rd. is developing some mud. He said that he had at least 5 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS here.

In addition,Volo and Nippersink Pond are completely full and will need extended dry spells if they are to provide shorebird habitat. Fremont Center fluddle is large and starting to look good also. It had close to 20 or so shorebirds but we couldn’t ID them due to distance and terrible glare from the sun. This spot will be much better in the afternoon and with a decent scope you should be good. Traffic is an issue on weekdays tho. I’ll probably go back and check there later today.

Here’s a google map of all locations mentioned:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ESYB5wLSWYFH3RIKy_K9SDJafEw&usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ESYB5wLSWYFH3RIKy_K9SDJafEw&usp=sharing>

If you know of any other good fluddle spots, please post. Thanks and……

Go Get ‘Em!
Beau Schaefer
Round Lake Beach, IL
Lake County