Date: 7/29/17 2:15 pm
Subject: Santee NWR news and Orangeburg Sod Farm 7/28
I helped the staff at Santee NWR with a shorebird survey yesterday - a
good variety of shorebirds is using a drained impoundment in the Cuddo
Unit.

We had over 20 Pectoral Sandpipers, a couple of Spotted Sandpipers, a
couple of dozen Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, and lots of
Killdeer.

We then did an inspection tour of the Pine Island and Bluff Units.
Part of Pine Island had a controlled burn again this year back in
February and there are plans to do the rest. Things are looking
better and staff has a good plan to handle their challenges (invasive
plant species, resource constraints, etc). Bluff Unit is looking
good as well and there are improvements on the way in terms of
impoundments and water control. We were surprised to see a Tricolored
Heron at the Bluff Unit - Wood Stork was more expected these days.

After Santee NWR I swung by the Orangeburg Sod Farm. A couple of
small flocks of Pectoral Sandpipers, Least and Semipalmated
Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs and Killdeer was about all there was.
The grass in the industrial park had been cropped close last week but
now it is getting tall enough to be attractive to Upland Sandpipers.

Also had a Loggerhead Shrike, Common Ground-Dove, and some Horned Larks.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!