Date: 7/29/17 1:16 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Once Again N.E. Lake County Beaches Saturday 7-29-17
Hello Bird People,

Today Bob Erickson & I did the usual 3 beaches from Waukegan to the
Wisconsin state line. Mostly saw the same shorebirds as on Wed but not
all were at the same places as they were then.

Waukegan Beach (6-7 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (3 fly-bys), Canada Goose (54) & Mallard (12)
Killdeer (4) & PIPING PLOVER (1, same bird as seen on Wed)(See below
for more info)
Sanderling (2)
Spotted (2), Semipalmated (1) & BAIRD'S (1-AD) Sandpipers
Ring Billed (~300) & Herring (~20) Gulls & Caspian Terns (8-10)
Barn Swallow (8-10)
EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH (1-2)

State Line Beach (7:30-8 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (21 fly-bys) & Canada Goose (6)
Killdeer (1) & Sanderling (10)
Spotted (1) & Semipalmated (1) Sandpipers
Ring Billed (~250) & Herring (~20) Gulls
Caspian Tern (7)
Barn Swallows

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:15-10:15 a.m.)

From the beach:
D.C. Cormorant (6 fly-bys) & Canada Goose (4)
Killdeer (2)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls & Caspian Tern (4)
More Barn Swallows which was the only Swallow species we saw today.

Away from the beach & lake:
A few highlights were Kestrel (1), Yellow Billed Cuckoo (1), a close
by singing Eastern Towhee & best of all a WHIP-POOR-WILL seen on a
fallen tree branch found by Bob of course.

Piping Plover Info

The little Piping Plover seen today & on Wed has the following leg bands:

Right leg has the silver Fish & Wildlife band at the top & at the
bottom a green band.

Left leg has no band at the top but has an orange band at the bottom.

I sent in this info to the Piping Plover folks & was told by Alice
that this Plover hatched this year at Silver Lake State Park which I
assume is in Michigan. More details on this bird may be available if I
can send in the photo's from today taken by Annette McCellan as they
show closer detail. If I learn more I'll pass it on.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Whip-Poor-Will which I almost never see but only hear &
Runner-Up to the repeat Piping Plover as it was just Bird-Of-The-Day on Wed.

Al Stokie
Back again to N.E. Lake County with good results

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: