Date: 7/29/17 12:05 pm
From: Andrew Bankert <abankert2007...>
Subject: [cobirds] Eastern Larimer County 7/29
Mike McCloy and I decided to skip hiking in the mountains with rain in the
forecast and decided to bird a few local hotspots looking for early fall
migrants. We found a lot of birds at Duck Lake and Fossil Creek Reservoir
including a Baird's Sandpiper, 2 Hooded Mergansers, a family of Wood Ducks,
large numbers of the gulls of the three expected species, and a Warbling
Vireo. After that we decided it would be ok to check on a pond in Weld
County along the county line road where we found a Ring-necked Duck,
American Wigeon, Sora, and Least Sandpipers. Cobb Lake turned out to be
the best spot of the day with over 50 species. Since we wanted to get as
many species as possible on the eBird list, we decided to start by scanning
the lake from the south parking area but were quickly distracted when a
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO started singing. Mike got a few photos and a
recording which will be posted to eBird later today. The wildlife area had
Brewer's Sparrow, a family of Northern Harriers, as well as a probable
migrant wood-pewee. One last scan of the lake before leaving produced an
early Common Loon. A few more stops for shorebirds around the northern
part of the county had more Baird's Sandpipers, Wilson's Phalaropes, and a
Greater Yellowlegs. Overall, we had 94 species for the morning and I was
able to get a new county bird which is always exciting!

Good Birding,
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins