Date: 7/28/17 7:58 pm
Subject: Birding Hatteras Island - Think again
I finally got down to see the Shiny Cowbirds at Ft Macon on Tuesday. Made it over to Shackleford Banks to find a Whimbrel also. Spent most of Wednesday driving, waiting on ferries or on the ferries. Did see two Black Necked Stilts between Beaufort and Cedar Island. Camped at Hatteras Point Campground Wednesday night. Thursday - traffic lights were out. Odd. It being the middle of summer. I stopped at two restaurants advertising breakfast. They were closed. I was getting perturbed. Finally learned that the power was out.

If you haven't heard, the construction crew broke the power line under the Bonner Bridge about 4 am Thursday. It takes a special crew to make the repairs. And it takes specific parts to make the repairs. Ocracoke Island and Hatteras Island south of Bonner Bridge have been or are being evacuated. Access will be very restricted until the power is restored. That may take up to two weeks.

If you're planning to bird in the area in the next two weeks, please check to see that your destination is open. Points west and north of the bridge should be unaffected.

I made it into the Alligator River NWR yesterday about 6 pm for a couple of hours. Found Common Yellow Throat and heard Northern Bobwhite. Saw 11 large bears and 4 cubs - my biggest bear day ever.

Mae Howell
Goldsboro NC

Join us on Facebook!