Date: 7/28/17 2:49 pm
From: stuarthealy <stuarthealy...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ 07/28/17: Garden Canyon - early Vaux's Swift and Abert's Towhee
Friday, July 28, 2017; Garden Canyon, Huachuca Mountains.

I saw an early VAUX'S SWIFT at the Fishing Ponds, heading south around 6:30am this morning.

This is well ahead of the typical September-mid October migration period. However, I note

a single "dot" for late July in the TAS bar graph, so not unprecedented.

Also at the Fishing Ponds, I was more pleased to see ABERT'S TOWHEE - a first for me after

birding at this location for 25 years.

CASSIN'S and BOTTERI'S SPARROWS were somewhat subdued in the grasslands.

I drove the back roads and song from both species was sporadic, with the latter more vocal.

Many 100s of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were gathered on the wires lining Antelope Way

(this is the road to the Aerostat Site).

Stuart

Stuart Healy

Sierra Vista, AZ.

Forgotten, but not gone