Date: 7/28/17 1:15 pm
From: <mou...>
Subject: [mou-net] Lac qui Parle Shorebirds, Late Brood of Mallards
(Posted by Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> via moumn.org)

Big groups of Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Wilson's Phalaropes are now
present at Salt Lake. Also in the mix are smaller groupings of Pectoral and Baird's
Sandpipers, a few Least Sandpipers, the usual Killdeers, Black Terns, and (as of this
afternoon) at least 2 Short-Billed Dowitchers. Most of the shorebirds are clustered around
the western peninsula.

The Greater White-Fronted Geese are still there. Another strange thing: there is a hen
Mallard with 6 ducklings who can't be more than 5 days old.

I saw 1 juvenile Bonaparte's Gull at Sweetwater WMA, as reported by Liz Harper and Alex
Sundvall a week ago, and 2 on the western shore of Salt Lake this afternoon. The male Blue
Grosbeak that's been seen/heard near the farm/western peninsula at Salt Lake is still
present, but today it wasn't singing, only calling. Found a freshly-hatched pheasant nest on
the peninsula, evidence of re-nesting.

In Yellow Medicine County I have twice in the past week seen a brood of Hungarian
Partridges foraging in the ditches around Mound Spring SNA/WMA, which were recently cut
for hay.

Chimney Swifts and Purple Martins are active in town (Canby and Gary) each evening.

On the South Dakota side, 2 Nature Conservancy sites (7 Mile Fen, and Crystal Springs Fen)
are reliable spots to find Upland Sandpipers. Found 4 Snowy Egrets up at Waubay NWR.

Jason Frank
Lac qui Parle
----