Date: 7/28/17 12:42 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Air Station Prairie, Both Technys & Heritage Pk In Wheeling (Of Local Interest Only) Fri 7-28-17
Hello Bird People,

All 4 of these places were completely flooded just a few days ago but
I saw on Ebird that John L had a few shorebirds at the 2 Technys
yesterday so that must have meant the water was going down at least a
little. But at Air Station Prairie the water has not dropped at all
mainly because it just has ponds which take longer for water levels to
fall. Both Technys & Heritage Pk have streams running through them so
as the water flows the levels fall (& rise) more quickly than pond
areas.

At Techny Basin the actual basin is back to it's normal size & the
overflow area just has some remaining puddle areas. The small pond
area remains under water. The only place for shorebirds is on the mud
edges by the stream & only 1 shorebird was there. Techny North has the
beginnings of the mud flat area but it's still pretty small. The
stream at Heritage Park is also high with only small mud edges on the
sides. Only 1 shorebird there too. Here's what I saw:

Air Station Prairie (7:35-7:55 a.m.)

Both ponds have no shorebird or rail habitat (for viewing) & all I
found were 2 Great Blue Herons, a few Barn Swallows & 1 Spotted
Sandpiper trying to fins a place to land.

Techny Basin (8:10-10:15 a.m.)

I have never see so many birds congregating at the main basin area!
This probably due to all the fish that came in via the spillway when
the flooding happened & now as the water goes down the fish can't get
out but the birds can get the fish.

After those fish were Great Blue Heron (10), Great Egret (8), Black
Crowned Night Heron (3-AD),
Ring Billed (33) & Herring (6) Gulls & Caspian Tern (6-8). Swimming in
the basin water were Mallards (14), White Domestic Ducks (3), a female
HOODED MERGANSER & 1 P.B. Grebe.

In the high water stream were Mallards (14 more), Canada Goose (1),
Wood Duck (2),
Solitary Sandpiper (1) & Barn Swallows are still flying in & out of
the area by the spillway bridge.
Land birds included Eastern Kingbird (1), Crow (1) & Cedar Waxwing
(2). I heard a Killdeer but could not see it.

Techny North (9:20-10:15 a.m.)

In the water were D.C. Cormorant (4), Great Blue Heron (5), Great
Egret (1), Canada Goose (~15),
Wood Duck (17-18) & Mallard (27). On the small but growing mud flat
were Killdeer (14),
Solitary (5), Spotted (3) & Least (7) Sandpipers (the same species
John L had yesterday but in different numbers) & as I walked out in
flew another larger shorebird so I walked back to find it was a Lesser
Yellowlegs. Two Red Tailed Hawks were hunting overhead & a few Barn
Swallows were flying over the land & water. One Willow Flycatcher is
still singing & 1 Eastern Meadowlark flew a short distance &
re-landed.

Heritage Park Wheeling (10:50-11:50 a.m.)

Checked the stream, soccer field & the main pond & found P.B. Grebe
(1), D.C. Cormorant (4),
Canada Goose (88), Mallard (29), Great Blue Heron (3), Great Egret
(2), Solitary Sandpiper (1).
Ring Billed Gull (68) & quite a few Barn Swallows over the stream &
the soccer fields.

Nothing special today but Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the 3 adult Black
Crowned Night Herons & Runner-Up to the late arriving Lesser
Yellowlegs. Glad to see a few of the more "inland" type shorebirds
today rather than just the beach shorebirds I've been seeing lately.
It's good to see both shorebird types.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>