Date: 7/28/17 10:57 am
From: 'Lethaby, Nick' <nlethaby...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Area K nostalgia
All,

I made a quick stop by Area K this AM. I had 12 Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Wilson's Phalaropes, 28 Western and 5 Least Sandpipers, and 7 Semipalmated Plovers. I was just thinking Area K was 'back' when the yellowlegs and phalaropes took off. Up until the mid 2000s, Area K would routinely have at least 5-10 yellowlegs all the time when low like this. I once had 70 at once. However the last couple of times it has got low in July-Aug, it's been really poor and the birds don't seem to be sticking around. I was wondering if Mark H. or others might have some theory as to why this is happening. I am guessing there may be less food but don't know why that would be.

Hopefully that flock will come back and be joined by more birds.

Nick Lethaby
Office: 805 562 5106
Mobile: 805 284 6200
Email: <nlethaby...>