Date: 7/27/17 10:16 pm
From: Lee-Hong Chang <lhchang825...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Flicker Breeding Behavior in Harding Park
Hey Mike,
Today (July 27), I found two NORTHERN FLICKERS at Harking Park. They were very likely the two you saw the other day. Was able to get some good photographs. Please see my ebird report,http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38349951
or my Flickr page,https://www.flickr.com/photos/lhchang/with/36076249391/
The young, female bird was still asking for food. But, during my five minute observation, she was not fed by the adult female. Don't know if the young bird was born here or a migrant.
Good birding, Lee Chang SF

On Tue Jul 25 2017 00:30:32 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time), <mike.carozza...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:

Apologies for late post... about 2 wks ago, I was golfing on Fleming Golf Course in Harding Park when I saw two NORTHER FLICKERS on a snag, one feeding the other while the other flitted its wings.  I'm used to seeing young birds do that when begging for food.  Could this have been a recently fledged bird?

Separately today, I saw a pair of adult PIED-BILLED GREBES with 4 juveniles.  Almost fully grown but still with zebra stripes while both parents pulled up 2 bright red crawfish simultaneously.  Impressive to see 4 healthy young birds on such a small patch!
-MC

Join us on Facebook!