Date: 7/27/17 7:51 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] monarch butterflies
In addition to the Monarchs, you can get into raising other caterpillars which are just as beautiful, and big, and need the help even more, the giant silkworm moths (Luna, Polyphemus, Cecropia, Promethea, et al), a.k.a. Saturniids or “Sats” for short. Several birders (and a few non-birders) who belong to the aforementioned MassLep e-mail list raise crops of these every year, and are always happy to give newcomers free advice, and sometimes a few surplus eggs or caterpillars for them to get started…

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MassLep <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/MassLep>

http://birding.aba.org/maillist/MALEP <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/MALEP>

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Jul 27, 2017, at 8:18 PM, <sffaulkner...> wrote:
>
> I wanted to encourage birders to raise the monarch caterpillars inside, if you're able. The caterpillars are predated rather heavily and we can help the populations by raising them indoors and releasing them once they emerge from their crysali. I've done this many time successfully. Depending on temperature, it can take anywhere from a week to two weeks if you bring in the leaves with eggs, giving fresh asclepias leaves daily and being careful not to discard the tiny caterpillars. And fun to watch them grow!
>
> Sarah Faulkner
> Collinsville, CT

Join us on Facebook!