Date: 7/27/17 2:44 pm
From: Florence Sanchez <sanchezucsb11...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] UCSB Campus beaches, Lagoon, and Area K
The low tide was favorable for a walk around Campus Point this morning. so I started at the wood stairs on the east-facin gbluff and walked the beach around Campus Point and continued west along the beach to the Lagoon.  I walked the west and north sides of the Lagoon before returning to my car; then drove to lot 17 where I walked across the street and scoped Area K.
On the east facing beach below the bluffs, I had 8 Whimbrels, I Marbled Godwit, 1 Willet, and 4 molting adult Black-bellied Plovers.  At the usual gull resting spot near the Marine science lab, there was a large mixed flock of gulls and Brown Pelicans, no terns.  The gulls were mostly adult California gulls, with Heerman's and Western mixed in.  Among the Heerman's gulls were 4 dark first-year birds.  Approaching Campus Point, I had 3 Black Turnstones on the lower rocks and a nice Surfbird up on top (lots of breast markings still evident).  At the very end of Campus Point, a Brandt's Cormorant was perched.
There was almost nothing on the west-facing beach--only two Black-bellied Plovers.  The Lagoon was devoid of birds until I reached the northwest corner near the Faculty Club.  There I found 3 Black-necked Stilts and 8 Greater Yellowlegs.  Continuing around the Lagoon, I found no waterfowl except for one Western Grebe.  A couple of Black-crowned Night Herons were fishing near the edge.  On a few Double-crested cormorants were on the downed-trees at the edge--nothing on the float.  With them at one spot was 1 Great Egret, 3 Snowy Egrets, and a Great Blue Heron.
Scoping Area K, i found good numbers of Great and Snowy Egrets--at least 15 of each--one Great Blue Heron, and 8 Canada Geese.  Kildeer were very evident and calling. Scoping the very back of the wetland, I found 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Dowitcher, and a few sandpipers.   The heat haze made identification of the latter difficult even through my excellent scope, but I was able to determine that at least 2 of them were Western Sandpipers, and 2 more were Least.  One of the undetermined appeared to have a rather thick, stubby bill,, but I could not say for sure that it was a Semi-palmated Sandpiper.  Swallows were present in good numbers over the wetland, including Cliff, Tree, and Northern Rough-winged.
Probably the most interesting birds I had were two small dove with short squared-off tails that flew over my head as I left my car and walked toward the street.  Unless the young young Eurasian Collared Doves (which are common on the campus) are very much smaller than adults and also have shorter tails in proportion to their bodies than adults, these would have to be Common Ground Doves.   Sorry--no chance to get binoculars on them.
Florence Sanchez

Join us on Facebook!