Date: 7/27/17 12:28 pm
From: <georger244...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] East Beach/Bird Refuge Santa Barbara 7/27/17
Yo birders:

I walked East Beach and the Bird Refuge again this morning. Pretty quiet. Beach: Long-billed Curlew (20, more than I've been seeing), Whimbrel (5), Marbled Godwit (3), Black Skimmers (7), Heermann's Gulls (ca. 75). No Snowy Plovers. There was a large noisy flock of terns between the wharf and the Landing (est. 75+). I did nor check it out to see whether they were Elegants, Royals or both. My ear can't tell the difference in their calls. At the Bird Refuge were the usual + 3 Spotted Sandpipers (still the spotted adults).

It's probably heresy to admit this but I think fresh juvenile-plumaged Western Gulls are a really really cool bird. They are so neatly checkered black and dark brown and the feather edgings are so neat and crisp. It's hard to believe how ratty they will look in six months or so. I saw two this morning, my first for the season. Right on time--I usually see the first on East Beach in Fiesta week.

Bird on...George (Roland), Montecito, Calif.

------------------------------------
Posted by: <georger244...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional