Date: 7/27/17 11:45 am
From: Robert Mussey <mussey.robert...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] monarch butterflies
For the first time in years, we've had a good number of monarch butterflies
this year, perhaps 8-10 so far. They are attracted to the native milkweed
species we've planted, especially swap milkweed (*Asclepias incarnata*)
which is blooming right now, and orange butterflyweed (*Asclepias tuberosa*)
which is just finishing blooming. They won't come near the common
milkweed (*Asclepias
syriaca*) we have let go wild here, and which I had always associated with
monarchs, perhaps wrongly.

Both *tuberosa* (dry sandy, well-drained soils) and *incarnata* (damp
spots, or water regularly) are fairly easy to establish and will self seed
to some extent, which has allowed us to increase the size of our milkweed
patches.

So, a perhaps little hope here on one front of an otherwise depressing
decline.

Robert Mussey
near the Blue Hills, Milton

Join us on Facebook!