Date: 7/27/17 8:24 am
From: Larry <oldbirdbum...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ TUCSON EAST SIDE FALL MIGRATION
Brian and Chris:

Tanque Verde Ridge, a west trending spur of the Rincon Mountains in Saguaro NP may certainly be affecting migration that is coming from the NE in the area of Reddington Pass. The Tucson Bird Count has been running several point count routes in that area of the Park four times per year for over a decade. The July and September data may be of interest to you. Nothing in August, sorry. A friend and I have two routes in the area; 8 points along the Cactus Forest Drive on the north side of T.V. Ridge and 7 points in the Rincon Creek drainage on the south side. Also, my friend conducts two other counts/routes in the Cactus Forest NNE of park HQs and WSW of Reddington Pass.

The data can be found on the Tucson Bird Count website, available to all for analysis. We have noticed fall days that have groups of migrating Bullock's Orioles and Western Meadowlarks, and some days migrating sparrows abound. Because the data are collected during five minute point counts, one is only given glimpses, snap-shots, if you will, of bird movements through the area. But, because the data set is both large and long-term with many routes throughout the Tucson area, much migration information could be gleaned by a competent researcher.

I encourage all interested to check out the website. It is managed by the Tucson Audubon Society, Jennie MacFarland is the contact there.

Larry L. Norris Tucson, Arizona