Date: 7/27/17 7:38 am
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Short Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*Salem Audubon Society SHORT Minto-Brown Island City Park Evening Bird Walk*

Date: Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM

*Overview of the Walk: *

15 of us gathered at 6:30 PM at Parking lot #3 in gleaming sun and 92°.
Fred, Tim, Mike and Sherri,and 11 others including 4 new birders( 3 young
kids that stayed at least to get out to the field), gathered with the
uncertain goal of seeing and hearing a* Common Nighthawk*. We began with a
brief topic of the nighthawk/nightjar features with comparison with Lesser
Nighthawk, including field marks, migration spots, overlapping range,
importance of insects, the importance of habitat in their winter range; and
the topic of their decline in numbers. We walked to inside the hedgerow
field of the parking lot, to pick up some shade and continued on the trail,
until at the crab apple and cherry tree edge we took heed to the river. It
was very bright with glare, but we were able to pick up *Mallard*,
*Killdeer*, and *Spotted Sandpiper. *On the opposite shore of the
Willamette, the rocky water edge was beginning to pick up shadows and this
was a good omen - the time might be right to see the bird. Tim picked up
a call from both sides of the river and we were able to spot and follow one
well.

At least four persons had *Common Nighthawk* as a Life Bird. All
participants had best looks of the bird in flight over the Minto Woodland
stand as it flew out from the inside field, over the canopy with sorties
out to the river and then back. It was twice as high as the river edge
cottonwoods. When we were able to have the sun behind us we could see so
nicely, the 24" narrow wing,with the white bar, the white chin color that
popped from its cryptic and dappled appearance as it flew out above us. We
all got the "nasal peent" vocalization that brings its presence to our
attention. At this point it was cooler, and shadows were encroaching giving
credence to the bird being described as diurnal and crepuscular in its
hunting.

Other species with 1 sighting only, included: * Anna's Hummingbird, Vaux
Swift, Downy Woodpecker, Steller's Jay, Yellow Warbler(deep in the woods),
and Song Sparrow.* We saw the adult *Osprey* bring a fish to the platform
nest where the 2 juvenile birds were perched and calling. At this point in
time it seems neither young has fledged with its first flight. We can
expect to see this change soon and in the next evening Bird Walk SHORT
on *August
24th, 6:00 PM. Note this is a change in date, so join us if you can.*

*Other Future Events:*

*Shorebird ID workshop* by Mike Unger on *Saturday, July 29, 10:00 AM to
Noon* at the ODFW building at 4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE in Salem.
Walk-ins are welcome. *Cost = $10/person.*

Mike Zieker of the City of Salem will be leading a *two-hour bird walk at
Minto-Brown Island Park* on *Saturday, August 5th at 8:00 AM*. *Meet at
Parking Lot #1.* The public is welcome, it's family friendly and it's
free. *Call or email Mike to sign up* for this guided tour. Phone:
503-588-6261 or Email: <mzieker...>

*Sunday, August 6th *for* Minto-Brown City Park Bird Walk; *Meet at the 3rd
Parking lot at *7:00 AM*.

*Tuesday, August 22nd *for* Ankeny Wildlife Refuge Field Trip; *Meet at the
Ankeny Hill Overlook at *7:00 AM* (and remember the Eclipse event is the
prior day).

* Thank you to all for joining this evening. *

Barbara Dolan

* Summary of Species: *
We walked a mile and had 28 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) (Branta canadensis moffitti/maxima) 6
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 8
Red-tail Hawk (buteo jamaicensis)
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 3
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 2
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 4
Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) 2
Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi) 1
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 5
Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus) 5
Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 1
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) 4
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 15
Violet-green Swallow (Tachycineta thalassina) 9
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus) 12
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 5
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 6
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 10
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) 1
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 8
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 6
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 3
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2