Date: 7/26/17 2:51 pm
From: Ellen Cantor <ellencantor...>
Subject: [obol] Eugene Wed Birders, Mt Pisgah, North Region
Sent for Dennis Arendt:

The Eugene Wednesday birders went to the north region of Mt. Pisgah this
morning. We climbed the trails through the woods, near “swing hill” and
back to the low regions via trail 3. We walked west on the gravel road,
where we found the Great Horned Owl. On the higher section, we saw a
parrot-like bird fly over us. It never landed where we could get a better
view. This escapee was probably a member of the “Old World Parrot” family,
Psttaculidae, because of its long, rounded tail. It showed no bright
colors, though the bright sky behind it could have made even red look
dark. We had good looks at family groups of Lazuli Buntings, Red-breasted
Sapsuckers and Western Tanagers. Western Wood Pewees and Spotted Towhees
were seen frequently and were heard throughout the morning. Four species
of dragonflies and one damselfly were identified, too. The entire list of
birds follows.

Canada Goose – flying over
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl – in the woods along west trail
Anna's Hummingbird
Red-breasted Sapsucker – two young drab colored youngsters
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Psittaculidae species – one flying over
Western Wood-Pewee – many seen and heard
Steller's Jay
California Scrub-Jay
Tree Swallow – one or two
Violet-green Swallow – one or two
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit – a couple of small family groups
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch – some noisy ones in the oaks
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Wrentit – a few heard and a couple seen
Swainson's Thrush – seen briefly and heard
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler - one
Common Yellowthroat – family groups
Dark-eyed Junco – one heard
Song Sparrow – one or two only
Spotted Towhee – everywhere and heard throughout
Western Tanager – pairs seen in two places
Black-headed Grosbeak – a singing male
Lazuli Bunting – a family group, the youngster being fed by parents
House Finch
American Goldfinch – heard more than seen

Tom Cable, Ellen Canter, Sylvia Maulding, Steve Franzen, Jim Regali, Tye
Jeske, Randy Sinnott and Dennis Arendt

Join us on Facebook!