Date: 7/26/17 12:39 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET N.E. Lake County Beaches-PIPING PLOVER & Baird's Sandpiper Wed 7-26-17
Hello Bird People,

For those who can't get enough Piping Plovers (& that would include
me) one was at Waukegan Beach by the flooded part of the main swimming
beach at about 7:30 a.m. today. As I was walking north on the beach
toward Greenwood earlier I saw 1 very light colored, small shorebird
fly by to the south. It looked like it was going to land on the
fisherman's pier but it banked there & kept going. Too bad as I wasn't
really sure what it was? On my way back south as I arrived at the pier
again I saw Beau S who informed me that there was a PIPING PLOVER by
the flooded part of the beach near the lot. Hurried there but found no
Piping Plover. Kept looking & there was the Plover along the edge of
the beach where you couldn't see it over the beach ridge. It is rather
small! It continued to move back & forth between the beach edge & the
flooded area until I left at 7:45 a.m. As I was driving away the beach
cleaning machine started working the same area so if you can't find
the Plover expand the search area to the pier & northern beach.

Also seen at Waukegan Beach (6:30-7:45 a.m.) were the following:

D.C. Cormorant (5), Canada Goose (19), Killdeer (2 on the beach & 4 by
water across the street),
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (1 with the 4 Killdeer), Sanderling (7 north
beach), Spotted Sandpiper (1) Ring Billed (~300) & Herring (10) Gulls,
Caspian Tern (17) plus Bank & Barn Swallows.
Flying high were 2 Chimney Swifts & 4 Marsh Wrens continue to sing
constantly. In a flooded spot along Sea Horse Dr I found the Solitary
Sandpiper seen earlier by Beau S.

State Line Beach (8:25-8:55 a.m)

Heard from Andy Stewart that there was a good shorebird here but could
not find it at 1st. Finally, along with 2 Spotted Sandpipers I did get
to see Andy's BAIRD'S SANDPIPER. I think it was an adult as it did not
have the fresh feathers with distinct white feather edges that the
young ones would have. Also late July is a more likely rime for an
adult than a young one. No other shorebirds here & gull numbers were
very low although there were still 11 adult & 3 young Caspian Terns
here.

Illinois Beach South Unit (Beach & Inland Trails) (9:15-11 a.m.)

Seen from the beach were D.C. Cormorant (5), Canada Goose (7),
SANDHILL CRANE (2-AD at the river mouth), Ring Billed (~90) & Herring
(2) Gulls & Caspian Tern (26). The only shorebirds were 3 Spotted
Sandpipers. Did not find the Killdeer seen here earlier by Andy
Stewart.

On the inland pathways highlights were Eastern Pewee, Eastern
Kingbird, Eastern Towhee, 2 singing Indigo Buntings (no Blue Grosbeak
though) & the best bird there was 1 BLACK BILLED CUCKOO which actually
let me see itself very well which doesn't usually happen for me.

Lots of awards to give out today starting with Bird-Of-The-Day going
to yet another Piping Plover & Runners-Up to the Baird's Sandpiper &
the Black Billed Cuckoo.

Fancy-Pants-Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the singing male EUROPEAN
GOLDFINCH along Sea Horse Drive. Birds don't get much fancier than
this guy I like them for their fancy feathers in spite of Andy
Stewart's negative opinion of them.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Delaware seen on Rt 120 almost
into Waukegan.
I am probably having my best July start ever for the 2nd half plates run.

Al Stokie
Finally seeing some interesting shorebirds in N.E Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: