Date: 7/26/17 11:26 am
Subject: there's still a Loggerhead Shrike in N. Durham
I wanted to visit a friend in Bahama, so I dropped by the location of the
previously seen Loggerhead Shrike on S. Lowell Road this morning.

I parked at the intersection of Hopkins Rd and began walking toward the
pond without very high expectations. To my surprise within two minutes the
shrike flew into the top of a partially dead cedar tree by the roadside.
It sat there for a couple minutes and then flew away and I could not
relocate it.

After doing several years of Christmas and spring bird counts in this area,
I had always hoped to find one of these shrikes. Since it's apparently
been faithful to this spot for the past 5 years I guess I wasn't looking
hard enough!

--
R. Scott Winton, PhD
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich

Join us on Facebook!