Date: 7/26/17 10:31 am
From: douglas stotz <dfstotz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Merlin at Fullersburg Woods
I had an appointment this AM out in DuPage Co, and a little time before I
had to be there, so I stopped at Fullersburg Woods Forest Preserve, in
Oakbrook along Salt Creek, for about 40 minutes. It was mostly a pretty
typical late July morning in Chicago area woodlands, with standard breeding
birds, and much diminished singing from June. I had 32 species. A singing
Carolina Wren was a minor surprise. A Merlin sitting high in a leafless
tree along Salt Creek (a little north of intersection of Riverbend Trail
and Oriole Trail) was a major surprise. It sat in the tree for several
minutes and then flew off to the west with harassing Barn Swallows in
pursuit. I think it was an adult female. This was personally my first
Merlin in June or July in Illinois.

Doug Stotz

--
Douglas Stotz