Date: 7/25/17 10:39 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Easy Input, Breeding Birds in August, and the Future of the SB Breeding Bird Study
Hi Folks,

A new and easier way to *submit breeding records* to the *Santa Barbara
Breeding Bird Study* is at:

http://santabarbaraaudubon.org/sb-breeding-bird-survey-data-submittal/

Thanks to David Levasheff for developing this clever input method.

For assistance with data input, including a helpful video by David, see:

http://santabarbaraaudubon.org/santa-barbara-county-breeding-bird-study/

People with multiple records may wish to download the* Excel Data Entry *file
from here:
<https://goo.gl/HpNvnb>

https://goo.gl/HpNvnb

Once again, you may view and query the *SB BBS* map and database at
https://goo.gl/AJQxKj

Use Filters to question the database.

*The Importance of August to the Breeding Bird Database*

Of the 171 species in the *SB BBird Study* database, 59 species show
evidence of breeding into August. Because it’s useful to know when the
breeding period starts and ends for each species, please keep your eyes
peeled for breeding evidence that you encounter in August and early
September. Thank you.

This chart below appears to represent the intensity of bird breeding in SB
County. (It’s based on records in the BBS database from 1927 through July
2017.) More accurately, however, this may reflect the human effort
expended to gather breeding records. I suspect that July would be the
month of greatest breeding intensity if we had even effort to gather
records across the breeding period. August is important to establish end
dates of breeding for many species.

* [image: Inline image 4]*

The list below shows the species and the number of records of each that
continues to breed into August. (I’ve omitted the many species for which
there is only 1 record.) Several species would seem to be pretty active
still.

Acorn Woodpecker

6

American Coot

2

American Goldfinch

4

American Robin

6

Barn Swallow

7

Black Phoebe

2

Brown-headed Cowbird

3

Bullock's Oriole

2

California Quail

4

California Scrub-Jay

3

California Towhee

7

Clark's Grebe

4

Cliff Swallow

5

Common Yellowthroat

4

Dark-eyed Junco

3

Eurasian Collared-Dove

2

Gadwall

4

Great-tailed Grackle

6

Hooded Oriole

8

House Finch

7

Lesser Goldfinch

11

Northern Mockingbird

8

Pacific-slope Flycatcher

6

Pied-billed Grebe

2

Rock Pigeon

2

Ruddy Duck

2

Scaly-breasted Munia

4

Song Sparrow

4

Western Bluebird

3

Western Grebe

7

Western Kingbird

2

Western Wood-Pewee

2

White-crowned Sparrow

2

White-tailed Kite

7

*Plans for the Future of the SB Breeding Bird Study*

In the next year, Adrian O’Loghlen and I intend to:

1. Continue to collect new and historical breeding records. Hopefully the
new data input
portal on the SB Audubon Society website will encourage data input and
feedback on
the BBS from the birding community.

2. Integrate the BBS with Lehman’s, ‘The Birds of Santa Barbara County,
California.’

3. Demonstrate the utility of the BBS to conservation groups, regulatory
agencies,
governments, planners, and other users.

4. Seek funding to support future uses and expand geographical coverage
of the SB BBS.

5. Use the SB Audubon Society website to encourage data input and provide
feedback on
the status of breeding birds to the birding community.

6. Further develop the UCSB CCBER website to explore the research and
educational utility of the BBS.

We are looking for volunteer assistance in managing the database, seeking
funding, exploring other capabilities of Google Fusion Tables, researching
the data, and looking for additional display and analysis options for the
database. In the long term, we can use the BBS to decide the next, most
meaningful steps we might take to advance our understanding of the birds in
Santa Barbara County.

Thanks to all of you for the support we’ve enjoyed so far.

Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

------------------------------------
Posted by: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)