Date: 7/25/17 9:36 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Non-bird question: Willamette Valley chipmunk
Hi Rudi & All,

Townsend Chipmunk would be the expected chipmunk species in the
Willamette Valley. They use deciduous riparian habitat with dense
understory as well as conifer forest. I've encountered them in suburban
situations around Corvallis, sometimes making use of non-native
landscaping shrubbery for cover. This time of year, youngsters seem to
wander a bit.

To add one more link to birding: They make a lot of odd sounds, some of
which can make you suspect that a strange new bird is hiding back in a
thicket. Folks who've joined some of my field trips have probably heard
me say, "When in doubt, it's probably a Townsend's Chipmunk."

Happy birding,
Joel

Rudi Rudolph wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon while watching birds (there's the obligatory
> connection) in our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, I observed a
> chipmunk of some sort. The chipmunk diagnosis is based on facial
> striping being present.

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!