Date: 7/25/17 9:22 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Flooded Wetlands Update Tues 7-25-17
Hello Bird People,

This is not a regular report but is to let you know that my 3 close to
home wetlands still have no mud flats or shorebirds & they look like
that won't change anytime soon.

Air Station Prairie has high water in both of the ponds by the
building & no mud edges can be seen.
All I saw here were Great Blue Heron (1), Mallard (1) plus Barn (4),
Tree (1) & Rough Winged (1) Swallows.

Techny Basin is as flooded as I've ever seen it with the main basin
with 3 or 4 times more water than usual. The stream had 1 Great Egret
hunting & a D.C. Cormorant landed & starting diving. Among the many
remaining Barn Swallows I saw 1 Cliff Swallow.

Techny North shows slight improvement with the tops of the vegetation
beginning to show where the mud flat should be but no sign of the
actual mud flat area. There's a tree stump here that the Cormorants
like to dry out their wings while resting on it & today the top of
that stump was visible & 1 Cormorant was on it. Lots of Wood Ducks,
young & old, were present today plus 3 Great Blues &
2 Great Egrets. Saw my only shorebird of the day here when 1 Spotted
Sandpiper flew by & landed on some bank edge rocks.

Finally, I have heard from a birder who covers the Chicago Botanic
Garden that water levels are going down but the backwater mud flats
are still under water.

I'll check again next week.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today not finding any mud flats

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: