Date: 7/24/17 7:53 pm
From: John Triana via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Late nesting Bluebirds
Angela,

I have been monitoring bluebird boxes for over 15 years. I typically check
the boxes every 2 weeks to monitor progress, although I don't always end my
"season" at the same time of year.

With all that said, the latest I have found a new clutch of eggs (4) was
Aug. 11, 2007. I saw 3 nestlings on Aug. 26, 2007. The nest was completely
empty on Sep. 9, 2007. Without any infertile eggs or dead nestlings, I
assumed all 4 had fledged.

The weirdest one I remember was in 2003. On June 28, I had a box where I
could see 4 tree swallow nestlings. On July 12, the swallow nestlings had
all fledged and there was a lone bluebird egg in the nest. To my eye, it
looked slightly larger than a typical bluebird egg. I returned on July 26
and found 1 bluebird nestling in the box. By August 10th, it had fledged as
the box was empty.

Thanks,
JT

John Triana