Date: 7/24/17 5:22 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Clatsop Beach shorebirds - 7/24/2017
I drove through an obnoxiously thick beach fog this morning to check
for southbound migrant shrebirds. I found the WILLET reported by others
embedded with a flock of WHIMBREL south of the Sunset Access. I also
saw and heard a single SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER.

I also noted the first juvenile WESTERN SANDPIPERS I've seen this season
along with unusual numbers of beach combing LEAST SANDPIPERS (I normally
expect them to stick to slimy green places on the estuary tide flats,
lake margins, and cow pastures).

A SNOWY PLOVER was photographed near Del Rey Beach a couple days ago.
I could not find it in all the fog today.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!