Date: 7/24/17 4:43 pm
From: Richard Bradus <grizzledjay...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fall already? (Warbling Vireo at Lafayette Park)
Hi all,Well, not migration just yet, but apparently some dispersal going on.
Here I am, dutifully noting the breeding birds and their offspring - at Lafayette Park one fledged Red-tailed Hawk (and one demise), two Acorn Woodpeckers, two Black Phoebes (earlier), a Song Sparrow, possible Hooded Oriole (after an initial nest failure), multiple Violet-green Swallows, "Oregon" Juncos and Pygmy Nuthatches plus a slew of Robins, Brewer's Blackbirds, House Sparrows and some House Finches. So I was totally surprised to find a nice, bright Warbling Vireo pop up and glean for a bit in the small trees near the condo. bldg. late this morning. It stayed silent, unlike the Nuttal's Woodpecker that I had been chasing and that Lori Lee documented well in her eBird checklist from this morning, noting the full reddish crown indicating that it is a juvenile. So I think both birds are this year's models, likely dispersing from their breeding spots and making their first forays into the great unknown.
A reminder that the cycles are progressing and that many more interesting newbies will be visiting soon.
Richard BradusSan Francisco

Join us on Facebook!