Date: 7/24/17 11:54 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Poplar Creek S.W. Equestrian Area & Paul Douglas Grassy Ridge Monday 7-24-17
Hello Bird People,

Over the last 2 days I covered lakefront beaches & my inland shorebird
spots are flooded so I needed something else to do today. The Ebird
Alert mentioned a singing Clay Colored Sparrow at Poplar Creek seen by
Leslie Y & before that by Jenny V. That's a good July record so I
decided to try for that bird as well as explore an area I have never
been to before although I have been in other sections of Poplar Creek
previously. Did NOT see or hear the Clay Colored but many field birds
were around giving me birds to look at & I learned about the trail
system here for future reference.
Here's my list:

Poplar Creek S.W. Equestrian Area From Schaumburg Rd (6:55-9:25 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (3 fly-bys)
Eastern Pewee (heard 1 in the wooded edge area)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Barn Swallow (10-12)
Blue Jay (heard 2)
House Wren (2 singing from the wooded area)
SEDGE WREN (heard 1 sing briefly but did not see it)
Common Yellowthroat (4-M & 1-F)
Robins (6-8)
Field Sparrow (10-11)
HENSLOW'S SPARROW (9-10, all singing constantly)
Song Sparrow (7-8)
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW (1 for sure & maybe 1 more)
Eastern Towhee (heard 1)
Cardinal (heard 1)
Indigo Bunting (2 singing males)
Red Winged Blackbird (only 4)
Eastern Meadowlark (2 singing but far apart)
House Finch (1-F)
Goldfinch (8-10)

Paul Douglas Grassy Ridge (10-10:30 a.m.)

There was a little wind at Poplar Creek but by the time I got to
Grassy Ridge the wind was really blowing making it hard to see the
birds as they would not sit up high enough to see! So I saw few birds
but the following were new day birds.

SANDHILL CRANE (1-PR), Great Blue Heron (1), Mourning Dove (2), Flicker (1),
Marsh Wren (heard 3) & Chimney Swift (2). Saw 2 more Henslow's
Sparrows which were not new.

Summer wildflowers are in full swing & some nice ones were Wild
Bergamot, Prairie Coneflower, Compass Plant, Rattlesnake Master, Mt
Mint &, to add some blue color, Chicory. Just starting to bloom is
Blazing Star which should be in top form by another week or so.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the very close, well seen Grasshopper Sparrow which
has to be close as I don't really hear them any more. Runners-Up to
the 2 Sandhill Cranes, the still nice looking male Bobolink & all the
Henslow's Sparrows.

Al Stokie
In N.W. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>