Date: 7/24/17 11:08 am
Subject: American Avocet - Clemson, SC
Good Afternoon. I was scoping the shoreline of Lake Hartwell near Clemson,
SC at about 7:30 this morning and was lucky to spot an American Avocet in
flight. I watched the bird circle a few times and glide in for a landing on
what is currently a small island on the Oconee County side of the lake,
just south of the West Cherry Road bridge: 34.649715, -82.852677.

Unfortunately, the bird landed out of view on the main lake (east) side of
the island, and most of that side of the island is only visible from a
boat. Despite hiking up and down the shoreline for a better angle, I was
not able to locate the bird on the ground. I went back around noon and did
not see the bird on the island or nearby shoreline.

Good Birding,

Kevin Kubach
Greenville/Clemson, SC

Join us on Facebook!