Date: 7/23/17 3:54 pm
From: Steve Kornfeld <sbkornfeld...>
Subject: [obol] Cassia Crossbill
OBOL.

Not just a split, but a USA endemic and just one state away. On our way to Wyoming, my wife and I spent most of July 16th in the South Hills of Idaho (Cassia County) hearing and seeing the Cassia Crossbill. A nice area to explore. Besides seeing the Crossbill it was instructive studying the resident Slate-colored Fox Sparrow comparing them to the breeding Thick-billed Fox Sparrows of Central Oregon.

The link below has useful information of where to search for the Crossbill, and also describes the factors that led to the evolution of this species.
.
https://idahobirds.net/birding-idaho/cassia-crossbill/

Steve Kornfeld
Bend