Date: 7/23/17 12:00 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Mystery Duckling identified
Identified by Linda Fink-

Here is Linda's photo superimposed on my previous collage.
I interpret my mystery duckling as a significantly younger Hooded Merganser
duckling than Linda's. As I found previously on the internet, as they age
both their bodies and their bills elongate from a 'duck' format to a
'merganser'
format. And the bicoloration of the head fades.

The bird I photographed was not as far along as Linda's (i.e. was younger).

Linda had this bird stay around on her pond a long time after previously
being
associated with a Hooded Merganser mother so she's sure of the identity.

Thanks Linda!
Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!