Date: 7/23/17 11:17 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Caspian Tern Fisheries
Owen's 'sculpin photo'

https://www.freelists.org/post/obol/Pacific-Staghorn-Sculpin

reminded me of one I took 20+ years ago at the
(then) spectacular BayOcean Shorebird Flats. (Attached). The fish was
captured in one of the channels
through the flats at low tide.

I'm sure many would prefer that Caspian Terns stick to sculpins.

Coincidentally, today I received the following email from my brother in San
Jose.

"I heard a report on KCBS radio yesterday while driving. They said that
during the past two weeks (and continuing still) the salmon run was
spectacular. Most all pleasure boats were reporting they'd reached their
limits on all trips. They went on to say that the California Department of
Fisheries had actually been predicting a very poor year due to the major
drought conditions three years ago. They were surprised. But it then went
on to say that they believed they had figured out the reason. Three years
ago they had been very worried that creek and river levels were too low for
the hatchery-raised fingerlings to reach the ocean dependably. So instead
of hatchery release, they had instead trucked the fingerlings down to the
lower delta where it enters the bay and released them there.
They believe that this massively improved the survival rate and this was
the result."

Up here, historically, Caspian Terns have been 'controlled' and salmon
smolts have been barged past many or all of the damns. I assume the
barging was of hatchery fish but I don't know where they were released nor
whether that practice continues.

Pardon the low resolution of this ancient slide scan. (The resolution is
good enough however to show the dust specs on the slide).

Bob OBrien

PS The salmon smolt appears to be yelling for help, but it's not going to
get it from the juvenile Western Gull.

Join us on Facebook!