Date: 7/23/17 10:30 am
From: Wayne Forsythe <wforsythe...>
Subject: Henderson Cty, NC Lake Osceola
Folks, About 11:15 am Ron Selvey called me to report a Dowitcher at Lake Osceola. Upon my arrival we put a scope on the bird who was feeding on a mud flat. While the bird is pretty colorful, the face was very pale with a prominent white stripe over the the eye. I took several digiscoped pictures, from a pretty good distance so who knows if any will be diagnostic. Prior to leaving, I played the tape for Short-billed with no reaction from the bird. I then played the tape for Long-billed and the bird immediately took flight and circled 3 times overhead before settling back down on the mudflat. While not diagnostic, I think based on the early date and response to the playback, it may in fact be a Long-billed Dowitcher. I believe this could be a first record for Henderson Cty. if it proves to be the latter!
The bird is feeding on the longest mudflat, in the middle of what's left of the lake,in front of the White House with the tower under construction.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!