Date: 7/23/17 10:01 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Cowbird chick with Chipping Sparrow in Soap Creek Valley
Oops, I left out a key phrase in my previous posting, here's a corrected
version with edits in []'s. -- joel

--

Hi all,

This morning at an oak savanna site in the Soap Creek Valley (northern
Benton County), I saw a full-grown BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD chick on a wire
next to an adult CHIPPING SPARROW, begging. When the Chipping Sparrow
flew off with several others, the cowbird chick followed.

Surprisingly this is the first case of cowbird/Chipping Sparrow nest
parasitism [that I've seen] at this site. Both cowbirds and Chipping
Sparrows have been conspicuous at this location ever since I started
visiting back in the late 1990s.

In other parts of their range, Chipping Sparrows are a common host
species for cowbirds. But here they seem to mostly successful in
avoiding cowbird parasitism. I've seen probably 20 or 30 sets of
Chipping Sparrow adults with fledglings at various Benton/Polk County
sites this year, and just this one cowbird chick.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier