Date: 7/22/17 10:07 am
From: RALPH ELDRIDGE <lightrae1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Wharton Point, Brunswick: Shorebirds, Peregrine Falcon, and cool gull behavior
Dropping shellfish to break them open is actually a common technique
practiced by gulls, as well as some other species such as crows.
They occasionally cause major problems when they use specific sections of
highway so much that the broken shells slice automobile tyres.

Here's one observation posted by Bob Abrams, McLean, Virginia.

"As far as gulls dropping things onto pavement to crack them open, I do not
think that there is a hard surface on the coast of New England, be it
roadway,
sidewalk, tennis court, parking lot or jetty, that is not littered with the
broken shells of millions of crabs and mollusks that were smashed there by
Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls. I have slides of a first winter
Herring Gull that found a tennis ball and dropped it continually onto a
jagged jetty in Newburyport Harbor. For over an hour we watched as from a
height of about fifty feet, the gull would drop and follow down this ball.
As it hit the jetty it would bounce to one side or the other drawing the
young gull out of its vertical decent. The gull would grab the ball and
mantle it, protecting it from the forays of predating gulls........which
never came.They did not want his ball."