Date: 7/22/17 9:41 am
Subject: Outer Banks breeding birds
Cedar Waxwings have been showing again in Dare County this summer - I've
had 5 sightings of 1 - 4 birds on Roanoke Island and/or Alligator Refuge in
the past three weeks. Have not had good enough looks to determine if any
are juveniles.

Cooper's Hawks have nested in Corolla, Kill Devil Hills and Manteo this
season. The only photos I've seen are of four birds in one photo, of
unknown age, which one would, I assume, represent at least two juvies.

Dickcissels (up to three) have been seen and heard singing on the Alligator
Refuge this year - and one female seen.

At the Coastal Studies Institute on Roanoke Island we had Tree Swallows
successfully nest in 4 bird houses this spring, with at least 2 of them
sticking around for a second brood. Then, they all vanished a few weeks ago.

Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Join us on Facebook!