Date: 7/22/17 9:16 am
From: Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Northern Cardinal vs Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Ruby-throateds are essentially finished with nesting chores here in
southern Louisiana, so they have begun to move into non-breeding areas such
as my overly urbanized neighborhood. I saw the first here on 10 July and
have only seen 2 or 3 additional hummers.

This morning, I observed a female hummer nectaring at a large
Firsspike [*Odontonema
strictum*] that is 12-15 feet from a tray feeder where I offer sunflower
seed. A young male cardinal was eating from the feeder, which he left to
chase after the hummer, unsuccessfully.

About 10 minutes later, the hummer was using the flowers of Tropical
Sage [*Salvia
coccinea*] and the same young male cardinal again gave chase, again
unsuccessfully.

Never thought of cardinals as predators.

NLN

--
Nancy L Newfield

Join us on Facebook!