Date: 7/22/17 4:49 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Molting Yellowlegs
Hmm, a little puzzling. Why would a species engage in long distance
migration in that condition. This would require some research in the
ornithological literature I guess. And in escaping a peregrine, which
could benefit from high maneuverability, these missing primaries would seem
like a big disadvantage. I wonder if that's why they tried to dive or
remain in the water instead of going into flight. Bob obrien

On Friday, July 21, 2017, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
> Today, when a peregrine falcon flushed shorebirds at the Eckman Lake
Outfall into Alsea Bay I captured an image of five greater yellowlegs
gliding back in for a landing. After getting home and looking at the image
I found that 4 of the 5 birds were missing their inner primaries due to
wing molt. Take a look at the attached photo. Their wings look pretty
funky and not very aerodynamic.
> Roy

</mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=15d6838c81d89306&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1>

Join us on Facebook!