Date: 7/21/17 8:09 pm
From: Scott Ramos <lsr...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 21 July 2015
We’re definitely in the slow season; very quiet at the park this morning. A nice chill at dawn, never really warming up, even a little ground fog around the wet areas at the start. Still plenty of young birds in evidence, plus a new shorebird arrival, a Long-billed Dowitcher. Jan joined me in mid-morning but dipped on the Dowitcher, sadly. There were other notables, however.

California Quail - at least 3 young birds hopped up into view, then just as quickly disappeared, at the north end
Pied-billed Grebe - one immature and one adult at Promontory Pond; later, I unwittingly flushed another Grebe off her nest, with two recent fledglings attached and 3 eggs on the nest; the mate eventually appeared in the same area. We saw this potential nest about a month ago, thinking they might be a fifth pair. Timing suggests this to be the case and not a second brood.
Osprey - at least one young bird in the nest; adults out hunting
Long-billed Dowitcher - single bird foraging in the Entrance Pond, early:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusonpark/35904080432/in/datetaken-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusonpark/35904080432/in/datetaken-public/>
https://youtu.be/hYenrLmh4jw
Barn Owl - day roost
Purple Martin - at least one calling, near the shore at the south end
Cedar Waxwing - at least two families of juveniles by the North Lagoon; one set of 3 very freshly fledged:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusonpark/35904085452/in/datetaken-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusonpark/35904085452/in/datetaken-public/>
Orange-crowned Warbler - with the Waxwings
Black-headed Grosbeak - call notes only

For the day, 43 species.
Scott Ramos
Seattle