Date: 7/21/17 5:36 pm
From: Nelson, Kim <kim.nelson...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Marbled Murrelets in the heart of the coast range, an hour from Salem 7/21/2017
Roy,

What an awesome morning you had! I was in the Yachats area doing a Marbled Murrelet citizen science workshop on Thursday morning and we had 18 detections at Cape Perpetua. Everyone got to see and hear murrelets which was fantastic.

The higher pitched keer call is not heard often and it is usually heard in association with a nesting site. We heard one bird giving this call during our Cape Perpetua survey. We don't know what the call means, but I have only heard it in areas with occupied behaviors and known nesting. I would expect murrelets are nesting somewhere near where you were standing. There are known occupied/nesting sites along Stillwell Creek and the Little Nestucca.

Michelle Dragoo and her crew were with me at the workshop. I am sure she will love getting out to see murrelets again, especially in such a beautiful spot. Enjoy!

Happy birding, Kim