Date: 7/21/17 2:36 pm
From: Kimberly Jannarone <kimberlyjannarone...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Corona Heights Walk and Land's End Auklet, July 21
Today I led the Corona Heights walk, aided by a small army of friendly birders. Despite it being clear, sunny, hot, and windless, we enjoyed terrific sightings throughout the day, including several of 2017-model birds (including Scrub Jays, White-Crowned Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches, and a Mockingbird) as well as WC Sparrows and Cal Towhees carrying nesting material. A male Lesser Goldfinch foraged right in front of us, so we got greedy and put the scope on it, observing every detail of its feathers. Later a young Red-Tailed Hawk flew over and a group of White-Throated Swifts foraged over BV.

Afterwards, I joined some birders at Land's End, where two hours of patience paid off with a five-minute Parakeet Auklet sighting. It's probable that it had spent the previous two hours roosting on the dark side of the rock. Once it emerged, it hopped around both Hermit Rock and a smaller one to its left, circled the rocks a couple times, preened, then took off for deeper waters.

A Humpbacked Whale completed the day's wow-moments by hitting the water by a boat under the bridge with its tail at least thirty times in a row. Quite a show.

Kimberly Jannarone

San Francisco

Join us on Facebook!