Date: 7/21/17 2:16 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] recent sightings of migrants et al.
Some notes from the past week of migrants moving through San Francisco:

7/15/17 - (7) Hooded Orioles were in the albizzia/willows/blue gums at the entrance to Harding Park @ Lake Merced Blvd. in the late afternoon. At times I had the entire "flock" in view simultaneously; all appeared to be hatch-year birds ( including two males showing some black in the throat/face) and or females, but I wasn't able to ascertain the age of all the non-males.

7/17 - There was a migrant House Wren in the willow thickets at South Lake Merced, west of the Bufano penguin statue. An adult Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over carrying prey. This is the earliest I've noted migrant Sharpie in SF in the "fall" migration (which actually begins in summer), with my previous earliest sightings occurring in early August.

Yesterday, (7/20) an apparent hatch-year AUDUBON's Yellow-rumped Warbler was a bit of a surprise on Mount Davidson. It was crisply streaked on the flanks/chest and had only a faint yellow wash on the throat and rump. Perhaps it was the product of a breeding effort from a nearby population here on the coast (Mt. Tam watershed/SCZ Mountains ?) which could explain the "early" date.

I've been trying to regularly monitor the migration of shorebirds at Yosemite Slough Restoration area. Yesterday there were (12) Black-bellied Plovers and (9) Least Sandpipers present more than double the high counts for both species from last week.

Juvenile California Gulls gave began to show up at this site as well.

That's all for now,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone