Date: 7/21/17 11:42 am
From: Timothy Shelmerdine <tim.oregonpelagictours...>
Subject: [obol] Oregon Pelagic Tours Fall Trips
Greetings, all.
We are very excited to start our fall pelagic season, beginning the
last weekend in August. All our trips still have places available, and
each trip has something different to offer.
We are happy to provide a shorter 5 hour trip, especially offered for
those wishing to see albatross and other ocean birds, but are not sure that
they will enjoy a longer pelagic. This trip is offered as part of the
Shorebird Festival in Coos Bay and Charleston. This festival is an
enjoyable weekend of field trips, good speakers, and good birding. If you
have not yet been, you may wish to consider attending. The pelagic will
take place on September 2.
We have two 8 hour trips in August and September, generally considered
the months of greatest diversity. These trips are offered on August 26 and
September 17. We are at the peak of jaeger migration, and it is not
unusual to see all four expected species of the family: Parasitic,
Long-tailed, Pomarine and South Polar Skua. We look for three species of
shearwater, including the elegant Buller's. It is a good time to see both
our auklets and other alcids. And while definitely uncommon, Laysan
Albatross may be seen on any trip.
Our 12 hour deepwater trip will look for the above species, but also
offers us a chance a Scripps's Murrelet and Leach's Storm-Petrel. Our two
deepwater trips in 2016 had one Hawaiian Petrel each, so we will hope to be
that lucky again. This trip will take place on August 27.
Lastly, we will offer trips in October. More on those later. For
prices, more information, and to register, please visit the Schedule &
Prices page on the Oregon Pelagic Tours website (www.oregonpelagictours.com
).
Tim
--